Old 03-01-2009, 11:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
jimhere

I know of a few. Like Steve said, a few do end up here by mistake. One woman I know was in AA for fifteen years or so, ended up drinking and drinks moderately now.

I know of another woman who was in AA for quite a while being miserable. She finally got a sponsor and found out by reading the book that she isn't alcoholic, but that she really loves alcoholics. She went to Al-Anon, got a sponsor, took the steps, and is a solid Al-Anon who sponsors a lot of women.

There is the test of trying some controlled drinking. If you think about it, most average temperate drinkers would not be bothered by this proposition.

Then there is the test of leaving booze alone for a year. Try that, no AA, no sponsor, no support group, no nothing. See how that goes.

Some people are more bothered by this proposition than by the idea of trying some controlled drinking. I believe there are some that are more bothered by the possibility that they might not be alcoholic than by the chance that they might be. Especially those who have been around the fellowship for a while.

You've heard that AA will ruin your drinking, I'm sure. Well I ruined AA for a guy. I dion't say this lightly or in a cruel way. In fact, it is rather sad and pathetic. This man was eight years in AA when he asked me to sponsor him. When we were looking at The Doctor's Opinion and talking about how the phenomenon of craving sets the alcoholic apart as a distinct entity, he mentioned that every Sunday he took wine with communion. I asked him did he need another drink after church. He said no, he didn't. I brought up trying some controlled drinking. He didn't want to try that. But if you think about it, he was already doing that. I told him that he might not be alcoholic and that he should find out. This really upset him. I can see why. What do you do when for eight years, AA has been your whole social life?

I see him around once in a while. He is a miserable, lonely person that doesn't know where he belongs. Pretty sad when you want to fit in in AA.
Jim