Old 03-01-2009, 07:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
navysteve

Yes,
I have seen people come to AA and get sucked in by the rhetoric that no one gets here by mistake. The truth is that anyone can get a DUI. A DUI does not make one an alcoholic. I have watched people through the years come into the room who were not alcoholics. Perhaps they made some bad decisions in life, or were just never shown how to drink responsibly, I don't know ( its not my business).

They eventually get bored with AA and move on. I know a woman who was in the rooms for 4 years and one day fessed up to me that AA was a place to make friends for her and that was it. She drinks today and claims she is alright, she got her BA in Accounting and purchased a home on her own. Doesn't sound like her life fell apart.

But that isn't the norm, I have also seen many come and go over the years and it gets worse and worse every time. Perhaps I am wrong, and maybe not qualified to diagnose them, but I think they are the alcoholics. The ones who either rested on their laurels or who never worked the program. I have done no scientific study, but in 19 1/2 years I have seen quite a few of them. I am sponsoring a man now who has been in and out of AA for 25 years and is just now working the steps. He has tried other methods, now he is trying AA.