View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
livingalie

"do addicts move from person to person looking to find an enabler?"

My ABF has done that his whole life. When his mother couldn't deal with him, he moved in with his grandparents. When they could't deal with him, he moved in with his aunt and uncle. When they couldn't handle it, he moved to OK with his father's sister and husband. And it went on and on. He has only lived in a place of his twice, that I'm aware of. But each time he lived WITH someone - even when he had his own place.

He needed to have someone there for him, to use and enable him. When whoever he lived with stopped doing that, he left and moved on. His family talks about it now and can laugh at the stupid things he did. Like he woud sit on the back porch - hungry and thirsty - watching them sit down to eat dinner.

After a while, everyone stopped helping him. He went to a half-way house where he HAD to contribute or he would be thrown out. That's where he learned his domestic skills - cleaning, laundry, basic cooking, etc.

I do believe that some addicts move around looking for the water to their sponge. It was only when my ABF's family cut him off and he had no where to go that he found the half-way house....and then eventually....me.