View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
MLG33107

DAY 2 -

Thank you all for the encouragement.

Last night was hard. My in-laws took my wife and I out to dinner, they are down visiting. We had an hour wait for a table, so we sat in the bar. When I ordered ice tea my mother in law and wife asked me what was wrong... why don't you have a rum and coke or whatever... I said, for the first time, that I did not want to fill up before dinner (lie) and they knew it. After we were seated, my wife asked me to have a drink. She said, "as long as you don't slam them, you can have a drink". I ordered water with my meal. When we got home, I looked at the liquor cabinet and my stocked beer fridge and closed the door, went to bed.

This morning I feel great. I don't feel guilty. I have no shakes. I feel happy. I don't worry about what I said last night. I am glad that I drove and let everything else have a nice time.

My in-laws are leaving tomorrow, so we are going out again tonight. I suspect that when I order ice tea I will get weird looks again. They all will be drinking in moderation. But, I want to prove to myself that I can get through this weekend, week, month without drinking. Next week is my birthday, it is going to be a huge test. At the end of March I am going to the Florida Keys for vacation. That will be a bigger test. Like what you all said, take it day by day.

Thank you for listening.

Michael