Old 02-24-2009, 07:22 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by SelfSeeking View Post
Lol... take it from me... grad school profs _do_ have their limits.
That's hilarious. I didn't push it, had my homework in her mailbox before she left work, which is sorta the default rule. Put it this way: there's a very stern warning in her syllabus about the fact that deadlines are concrete and unyielding in the real world and will be concrete and unyielding in her class. But we have had three assignments now and she has given extensions on all of them.

Besides, today she told us that she had to leave class early because she was supposed to have an article reviewed in November and the journal editor emailed her this morning and asked if she was still planning on reviewing it. *Cough cough* I sure hate those concrete and unyielding deadlines.

Really, this would be a random sort of discussion except that as I type I am comparing myself now to myself last semester when I was either too hungover to show up to class, or as often as not, would show up high because I couldn't afford to skip more. Sure, I blew off a homework assignment for an evening out. I challenge you to find a grad student who hasn't, and I still got the homework done in a reasonably timely fashion. Last semester I would have skipped it, gotten drunk, driven to the City, bought some meth, grabbed some beer on the way home, and partied the night away, probably skipping class entirely the next morning and turning in a pathetic excuse for homework three days late. In that light a couple hours past a flexible deadline doesn't seem so bad.

I am proud of myself. I really have turned a corner.