Thread: I'm New.
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MrsWorriedLily

Alright, maybe a little.
My husband is a 2nd generation alcoholic (as far as I'm aware). I personally do not like alcohol that much, there isn't a desire to drink in me at all. We have friends and family who drink, however due to financial reasons we don't hang out with them at bars or clubs. I refuse to purchase any alcohool when I go to the grocers so I don't feel I am an "enabler" of the alcoholism. However, I'm noticing that friends/family will buy drinks for him, and his family will encourage alcohol in his life (buy merchandise).

He just told me that he recognizes he has a problem with alcohol, and has on his own admittance (without me pushing/forcing him) has said that he recognizes that he can't have one drink and he see's it coming close to destroying his life. This morning he asked me to toss all the alcohol in the house that we had, which I was more than willing to do. He first said that some are just mixers and there isn't really a need to toss, but I told him anything related to the alcohol consumption isn't good to have in the house and I tossed everything - a total of three garbage bags. I still have our wine glasses, and ice buckets in the house - should I put those in storage?

I told him that I will fully support him to help him get better, and he did the first thing, which is admit that he has a problem. I also told him that you can't change the world in a day, so we will take it one day at a time.

Thanks for your patience with this...