View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
nelco
Living in sobriety

This thread really has made me think , there are so many different ways to view it and so much in it....thank you for that Iriss
I find I am doing a little inventory on myself.....which is always good.

those of us that don't wish to drink can mingle at parties and in society, without being frowned upon as having a drink problem, especially from other drinkers..
I think things are changing slowly here in Ireland. I mingle at parties and in society regularly, as does my husband. We were at a gig on Saturday night and we didn't feel frowned upon. I would think anyone that would frown would probably have a problem with alcohol themselves. We were at a wedding recently and the company we were in did not even notice we were not drinking, we danced, laughed and had a great day

bovinebear quote
society has a lot of work to do on the issue of alcoholism. Since we're all in the society, that means we all have a lot of work to do.
Towards the end of the evening someone who was buying drinks said "who is the soda for" it was only then he noticed. We then got a few comments like " good for you" because when it came to their attention we were not drinking they also noticed it was possible to have fun without alcohol. I suppose we can all do our bit by the way we live. . I was told in early recovery if you are boring and glum or fed up remove yourself from the party .....don't spoil the party on other people. For me, its all down to my recovery and how I am dealing with my day to day issues. If I need a drink to be happy or to mingle then there is more work to be done. This is where the 12 steps and AA come into play for me. Putting down the drink was only a start for me. mixing with people and finding happiness, peace and contentment within ....(regardless what people thought) were the real rewards. I really believe in attraction rather than promotion becausee I have had many people attracted to the way I live today without alcohol and have asked me to share with them how I do it.