View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Wombat05

Originally Posted by Iriss View Post
I think sometimes society needs to move forward and we need a change our perception of the word alcoholic
Totally agree Iriss.
In my view--it is a much stickier situation. In a lot of ways, I think marketing, and advertising has a lot to do with it.
Most alcohol advertisements involve a lot of beautiful, scantily clad, apparently successful people doing things that a lot of us would love to do. By all (advertising) accounts, people drinking is damn fun! And attractive! And scantily clad!
Of course--we alcoholics see the forest for the trees. Even if that beach party with super models happened to me: I'd be too drunk to see anything but where the next drink was coming from. Bikini? Where?
The tagline at the end of all of it is telling: "Please enjoy _____ responsibly".
Well. A lot of people can do that. A lot of people cannot do that. I am one of them.
I think a lot of society's perception of alcoholism is the homeless fellow, or the person they read about in the Times with their 10th DUI. It doesn't occur to them that a recovering alcoholic could be their child's teacher. The police officer that protects them, or even a clergy member.
I just think overall we're taught from an early age that alcohol is a lot of fun--and people with problems with it are sleeping on park benches.
Just my opinions. Thanks for letting me share.