View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 12:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Iriss

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
Several interesting statements there, the most interesting being 'no one can diagnose this'

If that were true, you would have a fair number of folks here that wouldn't be posting, they would have died from dt's when they stopped drinking due the medical communitys inability to diagnose their alcoholism. While I am in agreement that in most cultures addiction issues are handled incorrectly, I have a hard time agreeing with blaket statements like 'horrify so many people'. I'm getting a strong vibe here that in your world the person most concerned with the stigma of your 'drinking problem' is you.

I am a grateful alcoholic. I have a disease, per the American Medical Association, British Medical Association, I could cite numerous sources here but why bother. While my disease may be incurable, it responds readily to a very simple treatment regimen, unlike diseases like diabetes, for example. If anyone out there has a problem with my status as a recovering alcoholic, that's really none of my business, and not my problem.

I think the medical society can treat the DT's through alcohol abuse without diagnosing any condition. And I am really aware of my drinking problem and am beyond the stigma, my point I was trying to make is that I think a great many people will not get help maybe until they hit rock bottom because they are uncomfortable with the word alcoholic. Its not your status they concerned about but their own. Thanks and best wishes