View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
hadenoughnow

My son is 14 so this sort of conversation is easier but I have run into situations similar to yours. When we first separated my ex basically expected me to be his "parenting time delivery service".

He drinks EVERY night and starts immediately after he gets off work and the second weekend after he moved out he did not show up to pick our son up at the appointed time. I asked my son if he had spoken to his dad and he said no then said he really did not want to go to his dad's tonight anyway so I figured OK whatever.

At 9 pm (3 hours after he was supposed to pick up) EXAH calls (of course he is Sh*tfaced by now) and starts yelling "are you bringing him over or what?". I simply stated that I was not a taxi service and that he was obviously drunk which meant he could not have his parenting time (he is not supposed to drink at all when he has our son, now I know he does but at least I have something in writing if our son does not want to see his dad or there is a problem).

My ex does the same kind of crap yours does, lies to our son and says he is "not drinking as much", quack quack quack. I just advise him that actions speak louder than words and that his father frequently lies about his consumption.

Kids will frequently exhibit some different types of behavior during a divorce. They will try to create situations to force the parents to spend time together or act out in the hope of getting them to reconcile. Sometimes they are just scared and need reassurance.

After a couple of month of "challenges" I let my ex know what the "rules" were. If he calls my house drunk, I hang up. If he ever shows up at my house under the influence or uninvited the police will be called. He does not have "the right" to call whenever he wants or know where we are every minute of every day. If he drunks dials me or our son he will be on the receving end of a visit to the judge.

What is obvious common sense to us is completely lost on an A, especially one who is upset that the status quo has changed.