View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

It scares the hell out of me when I hear someone such as yourself who knows they are addicted to one substance, consider using another substance such as alcohol to help with the withdrawals from the first.

I've shared this many times, but some may not know. My younger sister was a cocaine addict and when that got way too expensive and she saw the downward spiral she was on, she began having a few drinks to unwind. She died of cirrhosis of the liver two years later, at the age of 26.

As addicts were are so prone to switching our addictions so easily. There are people whose doctor have put them on different medications such as benzos to help with anxiety. But many mistake benzos as something to help with depression, which is not true. That is not what benzos are meant for. If someone can take these as prescribed, working closely with their doctor and be completely honest about everything as far as their addiction, then these drugs can truly help. But alcohol is not something that a doctor ever prescribes to help with withdrawals from any other substance. Sure, many doctors believe that a glass of wine daily can help heart patients, in some cases, but we're not talking about that.

My DOC was also opiates. I abused them very heavily for many, many years. The reason that I decided to get Clean and Sober was because my whole life revolved around these drugs. I could not do anything, go anywhere, nothing, without a mess of pills in my system around the clock. I had such a bad habit that when I started going through withdrawals, I became very sick. These pills no longer had anything to do with trying to relieve physical pain, they no longer "helped with the emotional pain" that I was feeling. They only caused so much more pain in my life to the point of being suicidal. Drugs (and alcohol) had cost me nearly everything in my life, people, jobs, self respect, hope, faith . . .

Three and a half years later, I am happy. I don't need drugs or alcohol to make me feel normal. I am getting to know who I am, finding out what things in life I like and dislike and my life is ran by pills, powders and liquids.

God Bless,
Judy