Thread: My story
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SJLady

Thank you both for taking the time to reply and for your insight and advice. He hasn't had anymore to drink since I busted him the other night. I insisted he attend AA daily, as did his sponsor, and I also let him know that if he intends to throw his life down the toilet, he wasn't taking me with him. Believe me, I can tolerate things for so long before calling it quits. I am willing to offer as much support as I can, but by the same token I realize that I can't fix him and if he wants to stay sober, he has to do the work.

His biggest problem is that he lets his pride get in the way of recovery. It's almost as though he's offended that he has to attend AA daily in order to stay sober. Well it was working for him, so he knows what he has to do. He'll tell me about this speaker or that speaker that's been sober 27 years, and I pointed out that yes, they may be sober, but they're still attending meetings.

I also told him last night that if there was any more alcohol hidden in the house and he finds it, I expect, not hope but EXPECT that he will turn it over to me. He said that while I was gone he had a fifth of vodka and he has no idea what happened to it. He never found the empty bottle, so it's quite possible it's around here somewhere.

Oh well, one day at a time, huh?