View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
nickishine
It's time to change!

Originally Posted by mnjen View Post
Nickishine - Yes, I'd like to know what to expect once I'm in the facility/program. I suppose they are all a little different, but maybe just a general idea of what you experienced.
There are a lot of "group" therapy sessions on various topics daily; "one on one" therapy with your counselor once or twice a week; daily exercise; depending on the facility, cooking, cleaning - chores in general daily; inside and outside AA/NA mtgs regularly....

Usually a "black-out" period of NO contact with your family and friends for a specific amt of time; mail could be received and sent out I believe right away; visits from family and close supportive friends could come after a specified amount of time; family may be invited to specific groups and encouraged to interact on group topics....

The worst fear I had with being a single mom and leaving my children with family was the black-out period before I actually went in. After a day or two, I got into the routine of everything and realized the importance of why I was there and they'd be okay.... If not, family had the phone number to locate staff in the event of an emergency.

The tools and things I learned from staff, peers and the process was unbelievable and priceless. 3 weeks is nothing compared to throwing away your life with the progression that alcohol will do in your life if you continue to drink/use. I wish you all the best, my dear! Take this as an opportunity of a lifetime! You will be glad you did!... Your children will have a mommy that is New & Improved --- sober!

I hope this helps!!! You can also call the facility and ask them about their schedules and routines (requirements) and this can give you an idea to know what to expect!

Lots of love going out to you today!!!