View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 10:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
prodigal

Originally Posted by kv816 View Post
Am I supposed to sit around and wait, sit around and hope?
Not if you don't wish to sit around any longer.

Originally Posted by kv816 View Post
Honestly, is there nothing I can do? I feel like I'm living a lie. I'm pretending that his sorry drunken attitude doesn't upset me or bother me anymore. I'm tired of him believing that his drinking has no effect on me. Shouldn't I be able to tell him that he's hurting me? Even if it wouldn't change anything or make any difference, can't I tell him that his drinking hurts me?
His addiction DOES affect you. You are a normal human being. To not react at all would be abnormal. We are, by nature, relational beings. But attempting to relate, or have a relationship, with an A, wil lead you to doubt whether or not you will get any feedback or validation for your hurt feelings.

You are living with someone who copes by zoning out on booze. This person does not cope with life, deal with life, or want to be hassled by anybody - including you. And discussions about feelings can lead to pointless, endless, frustrating arguments.

You can tell him he has hurt you. You can tell him his drinking is destroying your life. You can tell spill your guts. I doubt much of it will compute.

Thus, you need to take care of how you feel. Because how you feel, and what you think, and how you want to live our life, is under your control. His boozing doesn't figure into that equation, any more than your pain and heartache figures into the equation of his addiction.

This is where there is frequently a parting of the ways. He wants to drink. He does not care to stop drinking. Sobriety, A.A., rehab - nope, not for him. (Mind you, I am only speculating here.)

So that leaves you to drive yourself crazy trying to get meaningful feedback and validation from an active addict. Ain't so.

Now you have to decide what will restore you to sanity, peace, and serenity. At this point in time, it doesn't appear to be him.

So what do you think you can do that would be more constructive for your recovery and well-being?