View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 07:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
GiveLove

No, your options consist of finding a way to be happy THERE even though he continues to drink, or finding a way to be happy far away from the drunken attitudes and actions.

There are many SR members who continue to live with their AH for various reasons, and some have found great serenity. It's not easy. It's not "doing nothing" -- setting boundaries and putting your foot down about what you will & will not tolerate is hard work, and you still may find you can't get on with your life and become happy again. You may find he walks all over your boundaries and you'll have to make some hard choices that'll require self-respect on your part.

If telling him that he's hurting you is part of recovering your serenity while you continue to live with him, then so be it. Say what you need to say -- how much worse could you make it? Just DON'T expect any change, or any particular response to that except maybe "who cares."

That's why I - personally - couldn't stay. I'm not going to remain in a relationship with someone who is unable or unwilling to care about my feelings. I would prefer to live alone and concentrate on my friends and family and the things I love to do in life.

I stuck it out, I waited, I set boundaries and had them crossed, I cried. I didn't think there was any way I could bring myself to leave. But eventually I was forced to, and ultimately, I became one of the happiest people I know. You might too. But you have to decide the right road for yourself.

Hugs to you, and hopes you'll find a way that returns you to sanity