Old 02-17-2009, 12:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
yeahgr8

I went through this for ages and gave up giving up in the end, drank almost everyday and functioned quite well in a high paid job in a foreign country. I didn't realise when i was saying i can't drink without getting drunk and i am an alcoholic that an invisible (to me) tiny part of me still deluded me that i could control it - DELUSION. It took me going to an alcohol counselor, getting on antabuse pill which i take once a day and even anti depressants to give me a 4 month kick start into sobriety! I could not be happier and yes it is crazy to think i could not give up for 2 days and now i have 4 months.

I spent years looking at going to rehab, in Spain, UK, Gibraltar even the States. I would say to myself but i can't afford the time off i have x amount saved and that will take x% of it and then it will be a hassle to find a job when i come out. Best one was when i was 30 was working in the dot com boom had saved up, doing programming, 200k, had a lotus and porche, **** me i didnt go to rehab, guess what i had in my pocket a year later thanks to drinking and my great lifestyle?! 0!!!!

37 now, get down to an alcohol counselor if you do not trust AA, trust them because you have to! Trust me because i don't want you to wait another 7 years or more. If you could have done it by yourself you would have done it already.

One more thing on trust I would have done anything to get sober last year, i was on my knees, maybe you will wait until then but as i said in a previous post you want to be make sure that you can get back up, even with help!

PM me if you like, check out my blog posts from last year when in was doing exactly the same as you, i read them and cringe...what a ******* loon i was!