View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 08:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ago

I have to say that Givelove's "Model" is the one that I also ultimately ended up with.

I think I am carrying around some resentment I wasn't really aware of, in my two long term relationships, "my" money went to the pay the bills and for us to live off of, these women were VERY frugal when it came to using "my" money to pay "our" bills. We lived on my money. I always ended up broke and struggling.

The moment we seperated our finances, I had TONS of money, the first month, I bought a car, paid first and last on a beach house, and STILL ended up loaning my GF $500 to pay her rent.

It came to light, that in both cases, they each had a 401k that 1/3 of their paycheck went into "their" retirement fund that they paid in addition to student loans and exorbitant credit card debt.

If it were truly "50/50" I would have over 100k in my retirement fund right now, but that was "their" money, made possible because I supported them.

/shrug

Live and Learn.

I would have no problem sharing ALL of my money in a relationship now if it were truly 50/50, and if half of the money "we" saved went into an account for us, but that wasn't the case in my experience.

Anyhow, that's why I asked the questions that I did...if he is refusing to pay his portions of the bills, play hardball, if he's paying his portion, I fail to see the problem.

All of my relationships were 50/50 as in I was expected to cook, clean, clean up after myself, go shopping, do my own laundry etc etc everything was 50/50, These were professional women that made very good money, I suspect if I was in more of a "traditional" relationship, I would maybe view it in a more "traditional" way.