Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Bamboozle
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by SelfSeeking View Post
It's nothing big. Certainly not worth yet another atheists vs. Christians dust-up. But I guess I've been pretty sheltered and lucky, living in the urban northeast for too long. I had forgotten that for some people, it doesn't matter how you live your life or if you put your hand out to newcomers or love your family or try to be compassionate or whatever... by nature of being an atheist you are a moral degenerate, just a fundamentally bad person. It's what people say when they're not really thinking about it. I don't know why I care. Maybe it's an ego thing, I can't stand the idea that someone out there thinks I/people like me are really bad. Not because of anything I do or say. Just because I am me.

Ha, you can tell I'm white and straight.

Hello, SS. Before I became a heathen I was AFRAID of atheists. They really scared me. I'm serious. I can laugh about it now, but at the time I felt that they (by merely existing) threatened my system of belief. I felt insecure because I thought they were more intelligent than I was...besides, their arguments made a lot of sense and I was too afraid (of eternal damnation) to acknowledge what they had to say.

This morning I came across a Youtube video with Paula Zahn at CNN and it was a segment on discrimination against atheists. During the second part there was a panel discussion. Not one of the three participants was an atheist. I was so disgusted with the rhetoric I could not finish watching it...they were basically saying that atheists bring discrimination upon themselves and that they should shut up.

For what it's worth, I think your complaints are valid.