View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FormerDoormat
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

One of the things I've learned in recovery is that I don't have to apologize for sharing my thoughts or feelings. They are my feelings and they are just valid as anyone else's. They are based on my life experiences; they are my truth.

The fact that the poster is here and is asking questions about the soundness of entering into this relationship says to me that her intuition is telling her that perhaps this would not be a good move for her.

My own intuition kicked in when I first met my ex alcoholic boyfriend and I chose to ignore it. Twenty-two years later that choice led me to join this forum as a miserable and broken woman. Someone else's drinking problem and behaviors while drinking and later, while sober, had a negative impact on my life. My boyfriend ultimately drank himself to death.

Based on what I know today and on what I've experienced in the past, I, too, would never intentionally enter into a romantic relationship with an active or recovering alcoholic. For me, the stakes are too high.