View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bamboozle
I got nothin'

Got me thinking... (uh oh...) :)

...about "powerless over alcohol".

I wonder what people mean when they say that.

I know that when I drink I have a very strong compulsion to keep drinking...but this in no way prevents me from stopping. I simply choose to keep drinking. Trying to stop never crosses my mind.

I don’t see myself as an automaton reaching for the bottle and mindlessly drinking. I knew exactly what I was doing every single time and I wanted to do it.

I never saw the point of only having one or two. Every time I drank I did it to get messed up. I enjoy being in that condition.

I freely admit I’ve never tried this, but I really do think that if I had made an effort to stop after, say 2 standard drinks, I could do it, BUT I really wouldn't be happy about it and it would be incredibly difficult. There is no denying that I have a strong urge to keep going and going...but I think that it comes down to a choice (I’m speaking only for myself).

Fortunately I have no desire now to test this out. I already know it would be a difficult thing to do. Anyone have any thoughts about “powerlessness over alcohol”?