View Single Post
Old 04-24-2004, 09:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
confusedme
Paused

Red face About to give up, need help!

Hello, this is my first time here, I hope someone can help, although I may need marriage counseling, I don't know. My husband and I have been married for 3 years. We have one little boy is 2. I was aware of his drinking problem when I married him. I got pregnant with our son shortly after realizing he had a drinking problem. He kept promising me he would quit drinking when the baby came. We had a nice wedding and a bought a new home together. I was deeply in love. I work second shift, he works first shift at our jobs. He is at home with our son at night by himself because I don't get off work until midnight. Ever since my son was born and I went back to work, my husband has drank beer at night while watching him. It usually 3-5 nights a week and usually 3-8 beers. I can tell when my husband had one beer, just listening to his voice. He is not a violent person when he drinks, he mostly gets careless and trys to be funny. Every night when I call him from work and he has been drinking I get mad. He doesn't understand that if my son gets hurt, he wont' be able to take him to the hospital, therefore I worry while I am at work. We fight all of the time because he doesn't see anything wrong with "winding down" with a beer after work. Why does he have to have beer to wind down? I have asked him to get help and that I would go to AA with him, but he won't agree that he has a problem. He just says that he could quit if he wanted to, but he doesn't try. Well, he tried once, and went about 3 weeks and then I caught him hiding it from me. Our arguing has gone on for 3 years and I am ready to give up this marriage. What should I do? I have told him that I would like to just get a divorce and all he says is, " you won't be happy without me!" I do love him, but he wont do anything about his problem. I grew up with an alcoholic father and my son shouldn't have to.