View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
justalittleone

Hey, Hardwired. I don't think there's much to add to all that has been mentioned above; I'll agree that different AA groups have different vibes, and in my experience some are okay for me, and some just don't fit. And yes, mix & match is definitely a great idea.

One of the issues I had with AA was the rigidity I found when I had a sponsor; she didn't seem to really hear me, but just kept telling me to "do what she does/did" and then I would succeed. I know that this is usual and even true for many; however, she was a completely different character than I am, and I felt I would've been more successful in working with her if she would have opened up and heard more of what was inside of me (she kept saying it was the same for everyone when they were new...since when is anyone the same as all others?). I stopped using her as my sponsor, went to different meetings in different towns, and finally found one that didn't grate my nerves whenever I went in.

I haven't been back to AA in years, and although I think about finding a meeting place or two near my new home, I'm not sure I'm ready to approach that route. I am so fortunate for having the love of a couple of incredible friends who encourage and support me (naturally, without judgement) and my boyfriend, who has seen me at some of my worst, is being loving, supportive and helpful. In fact, it was he who found this forum, and I must say...SR ROCKS! This place is great, and I plan to be around for a while. In regards to that last, thanks to everybody!

Good luck, go with your flow, and remember why you want to stay clear and clean. Your own heart, with honesty and committment to yourself, will guide you like no one else possibly could. After all, no one has to "live with me the way I do."