View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Barbara52

Originally Posted by ItsmeAlice View Post
she learned long ago in therapy not to care what people thought about her and to speak her mind.

She was talking once and was hurting my feelings greatly with comments direct towards me. When I asked her to please stop because it was hurtful, she responded that it was okay if I didn't like her for her opinions because she doesn't care what people think of her anymore. What?? I left the room, in my own home, because I couldn't reason that one out for the life of me. I still don't know what to think of it.

Talk about a total misinterpretation of the meaning the therapist was likely trying to convey!

There is a world of difference between not caring what people think of me and being deliberately hurtful when speaking to someone. I do not care that person X thinks I am a horrible human being. That does not mean it's ok to tell X hateful, hurtful things. I have every right to tell someone I will not listen to what they have to say.

Originally Posted by ItsmeAlice View Post
If I have hurt someone I love by my words or actions, I owe them an apology,
On the whole I agree with this but not necessarily. Sometimes the truth is hurtful. Sometimes my actions my hurt someone but be the best thing for me.