Thread: New member
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

Welcome to SR!

I am a recovering addict, as well as a recovering codependent, and I'm glad you found us! There are some wonderful people here, with a tremendous amount of support, and you will soon see you are not alone.

If your son is on probation and is not reporting, he is in violation. It will not matter whether you pay the fees, he will probably still be locked up, and as awful as it may sound to you, this is what needs to happen.

I understand that his learning disabilities are an issue, but he needs to face the consequences of his using. If he doesn't, he will continue using. It wasn't until I faced a LOT of consequences (which also involved being locked up for probation violation) that I even considered recovery.

When you've been enabling someone, especially a child, it is not easy to learn NOT to. I'm sure it goes against every thing you think you're supposed to do as a mom. Luckily, there are several parents here, who can walk beside you and give you some ES&H (experience, strength and hope). There are also a few of us RA's (recovering addicts) to share OUR side of what helped us go from being active addicts to recovering addicts.

What helped me the most was my family loving me enough to let me fall on my face and figure out how to get back up. I will forever be grateful to them for what they have done, and I am a stronger person because of it. I am also proud of what I have accomplished because I did it. Yes, they have been very supportive of my recovery, but it was still ME who took the steps to get my life back on track.

As far as his learning disabilities, recovery gives us a new outlook on life. We want better for ourselves in ALL areas of our lives. It is a shame that the school system let him down, but I would think there are still ways that he may qualify for help in learning to read and write, if he wanted to, and it would be free. Again, it would have to be something HE wants.

I hope you will read through some posts here, and keep posting. You will see you are among friends who understand what you are going through.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy