Old 02-03-2009, 09:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
PaperDolls
Its_me_jen

I have a problem. I can't define what spirituality means to me.

Spirituality: This term is defined quite differently by monotheists, polytheists, humanists, followers of new age, Native Americans, etc. A common meaning is "devotion to metaphysical matters, as opposed to worldly things." Another is "Activities which renew, lift up, comfort, heal and inspire both ourselves and those with whom we interact."
"Being spiritual" may aim towards:

* simultaneously improving one's wisdom and willpower.
* achieving a closer connection to Deity.
* developing a connection between one's self and the natural world
* removing illusions or "false ideas" at the sensory, feeling and thinking aspects of a person.

I like all of these but I like this one from Wikipedia the most.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Secular spirituality as a cultural phenomenon refers to the adherence to a spiritual ideology without the advocation of a religious framework. Secular spirituality in principle might embrace many of the the same types of practices as religious spirituality, but the motivation is different. Clearly, since belief and dogma are absent, the emphasis is likely to be on practice rather than belief and on the inner peace of the individual rather than on a relationship with the divine. Proponents make a case for a form of secular spirituality in which the motivation is simply to live happily, which demonstrates how such a motivation can lead to a spiritual life based on the development of qualities very like those prized by many religions.
Either way, I still can't put it into words. Ug!