View Single Post
Old 11-02-2001, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
swanky

Lightbulb

Thanks everybody for the great advice. I love my Mom to death, and I know that she has totally been where I am right now, but it's good to hear feedback from others, too.

I'm not quite ready to say that he's never going to get help (it's been less than a week since I brought it up to him), but I'm sure as hell not gonna sit around forever until he realizes that it is necessary.

My mother gave me some literature to read and to leave around for him to check out, and I think he may have been looking at some of it this morning. It's not a big thing, but at least it may plant a seed and answer some of his questions. That's about it for right now.

Skeptical-- man, we sound like long lost sisters........I really identified with your situation when I read your posts. At first I found it really hard to talk to my mother about my b/f's drinking because I was sure that she would be against him and tell me that I was stupid for getting involved with him. We yelled at each other a lot that day, because I didn't trust that she wanted to help me and not tear me and him down. But it really did come to me that as well as being an addiction counselor, she is a recovering alcoholic and a person, plain and simple, and that she wasn't passing judgement on me or him. I'm glad that you've reconnected with your mom, too-- they do have a lot of wisdom.

Smoke, I'm glad you like my name. That's cool.

[This message has been edited by swanky (edited November 02, 2001).]