View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 06:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
hadenoughnow

Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
I had the option (in VA) to petition the court for sole use of the marital home (until final settlement). Of course I would have to convince a judge that M was a threat, danger, verbally abusive, annoyance, all around PITA.... I had children in my home too, that was my best ammunition.

As it turned out M left before I pulled the trigger on that legal option, but I bring it up because in your case it might be worth exploring with a competent lawyer. Maybe even filling for that would force his hand. He might have like 30 days to respond to the court filing? Could start the ball rolling... force a move and break the stalemate?

I would file and see where it goes.
I agree, filing for a protection order is free in most states. It may motivate him to leave (it did in my case) and if he does not show for the hearing the judge usually grants the order.

Like I said to my attorney "no one is going to put me in jail for asking for a PPO or changing the locks and right now I am basically being imprisoned with an addict, I can't live like this for 6 months so I have to try something".