View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  
doorknob
Knucklehead

I'm in computer hell... started a week or so ago. I bought a computer off Craig's List to set up for a back up because we've been having problems with my gf's computer. I ordered a CPU fan from New Egg because the one on my computer had been noisy since I bought it off eBay. Shortly after I placed my order, the fan stopped working all together. So, I unhooked it and started setting up the computer that I bought. Reformatted it and reloaded with XP so the OP system was pristine, did all the updates, removed all the bundled crap that HP Compaq puts on it, and cleaned the registry so it will be as fast as it can possibly be. While I was doing this, my gf's computer crapped out all together. So, I found a youngster on Craig's List who works on computers for cheap. Brought him my gf's computer and found out that it's hard drives and motherboard are both toast. While he was working on my gf's computer, my fan came and I installed it. I went to plug it in where my gf's tower was and neglected to turn the power strip off first.. I plugged the power cord into the tower and it sparked, popped, and started smoking. Took my new computer guy my tower yesterday... the power supply supply is toast (figured that, lol), the motherboard is damaged, and the hard drive is getting ready to fail. Right now, he's trying to salvage 50 GB of rare 90's Bay Area Hip Hop that I've collected over the past 2 years buying CD's (some very expensive) off eBay, copying them and reselling to buy more. I had been procrastinating on buying an external hard drive to back my music up on... So, my gf is off work today and on the one good computer. Bored as hell, I pulled out an old dinosaur and connected it to the internet to see what it will do... Here are the specs: Windows 98 SE, original Pentium processor 100 Mhz, 40 MB RAM, IE 5. But, I can use the forums, check my email, get on eBay and Craig's List, and listen to the music I have on it.