Thread: Grrrrrrrr
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Zencat
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Eroica View Post
and its the responsibility of AAers to inform secularists that AA is a religious program. If they did there would be a LOT less confusion.
I agree. At the very least A.A'ers could forewarn others in general that their program is quasi-religion or is some sort of new wave religion.

According to Dr. Bob’s last major talk to A.A. members in Detroit in 1948. Pertinent among his remarks are these:
"But we were convinced that the answer to our problems was in the Good Book. To some of us older ones, the parts that we found absolutely essential were the Sermon on the Mount, the thirteenth chapter of First Corinthians, and the Book of James. . . .
It wasn’t until 1938 that the teachings and efforts and studies that had been going on were crystallized in the form of the Twelve Steps. I didn’t write the Twelve Steps. I had nothing to do with the writing of them. . . . We already had the basic ideas, though not in terse and tangible form. We got them, as I said, as the result of our study of the Good Book"
I feel open discussion based on personal observations and evidence need not include hostel personal views. Being considerate and respectable to another point of view helps to bring about a greater understanding and more open discussion of opposing views in a non-threatening way.