View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
I'm one of those people who has a sign on my forehead that says something to the effect of, "I don't believe in any deities, so please feel free, perfect stranger, to talk to me and try to help me find GOD."
So I'm not the only one with that sign on my forehead?! I try to keep in mind that they probably mean well, but I've never once tried to convince them they should be agnostic like me, so why should I be religious like them?

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
I want to add that when my heart dropped upon seeing the 12 steps layed out, I had a sinking feeling that I would never be able to beat this thing. I had an assumption for the longest time that I would need to do AA in order to become sober.
A few months ago, with my first (rather feeble) attempts to sober up, I saw the 12 steps for the first time. The ones about HP turned me off, and the rest, far from giving me hope, made me feel like I was being asked to climb a flat brick wall with no handholds. I knew I couldn't do it and for a couple of weeks I resigned myself to being a drunk drug addict. I felt like I was the only person who felt that way about the 12 steps though; I'm glad I'm not.

For me being sober is a learning process. I had to learn how to stay sober, learn how to beat my brain at its own game. I had a few bumps along the way, a few times I did drugs again. I suppose it might happen again but somehow I feel like it won't. I won't let it happen. I've been through the fun and joy of withdrawal and I am not eager to do it again.