View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by fall View Post
That definitely is a reality of telling family about an addiction, you will be watched. Which could be helpful if you're serious about quitting, because you'll have their support as well as watchful eye. Though I warn you, if you're not serious, you will become resentful of their watchfulness, and like a good drug user, you'll sneak around and find ways to use, and then you'll have a bigger problem for how that will make you feel about them and about you. Drugs do make you ugly, that's true.
I'm serious about quitting. I'm at about 3 and a half weeks. Last night I deleted my dealers' phone numbers from my cell phone. I did not do it earlier because I guess I still wanted the option available. But after some silly drama with old drug buddies last night who had taken some hydrocodone and were drinking I realized in a way I never had before that that part of my life is over. I feel good, a lot of my problems have vanished, and I'm over it. I think I'm not out of the woods yet, as far as cravings are concerned but I made it through the worst of it and I know I will be ok.

I'd become resentful of my parents watching me either way. My boyfriend watches me and I appreciate it; I don't feel like he is accusing me of doing drugs, just watching out for me. He helps me stay out of trouble and he knows what to look for since he has his own substance issues. My parents would think any late night out, any morning I sleep in, and any time I actually get sick would mean I was using again. They don't know what to look for, and they would spend a lot of time asking me if I was doing drugs. I don't want the pressure.