Old 01-24-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
TryingSoHard
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by rebelTex View Post
Or keep it to demonstrate my resolve?
If you're a glutton for punishment, or into masochism, or just REALLY want to tempt fate, then sure - keep it. Otherwise, get that poison out of your house ASAP.

We have a liquor cabinet upstairs in the game room. It has locks because we have kids in the house. My husband hid the keys to it when I told him about my drinking problem because it still had quite a good bit of liquor in it (several bottles including scotch, rum, vodka, Godiva liqueur, and more). It really started getting to me, knowing that it was there. I even went digging around until I found the keys. And one day when I was having a particularly bad day, I took the keys, went upstairs, opened the cabinet and pulled out a couple of bottles. Thankfully I smelled the rum first - it just about made me throw up (rum never did SMELL good to me, but I liked how it tasted). I stood there, heart pounding, breaking out in a cold sweat, debating whether or not I was ready to throw 90 days of sobriety away.

I finally put the bottles back, locked the cabinet, put the keys back in their hiding spot, and made a big pot of coffee.

That night I asked my husband if we could get rid of the bottles (I did NOT tell him what I had almost done). He said, "Let's do this!" and got the keys to the cabinet. We went upstairs and got all the bottles out and I stood and watched as he - *gasp* - poured every last drop down the drain. On one level it hurt my heart, and on another level I was more relieved than I could ever tell you.

No booze in my house. At least not booze that's here to stay. If we have friends over and they want to bring their own, they can go for it as long as they bring it back home with them at the end of the night. But no way can I have bottles in the house. Maybe one day, but not anytime soon.

Good luck to you.