Old 01-24-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
e4r5t6

More on steps for atheists

I will attend two AA meetings today as an atheist and, as almost always happens, will probably bring away some useful nugget that helps me.
The reason I want to find a set of steps without "god" is because I think what allows AA to work is a definable process, a set of steps that can be described and then followed.
The mantra about "working the steps" makes sense, I just think the steps that use "god" are an artificial construct even though one that works for people who choose to believe.
I may think, do think, it's silly and naive to create this Santa Claus figure, sort of Harvey the rabbit, but if that's what it takes, who am I to quarrel with it?
In the groups I attend there are, I'm guessing, about 10-15% who express reservations about "god" and still get substantial therapeutic benefit from the meeting and steps.
We're developing a secret wink and handshake. I'm thinking about a secret cell that meets covertly in my home.
My observation tells me about 20% of the people in my meetings are emotionally unstable, insecure, immature and suffering issues that are present apart from alcoholism and still they get benefit and often sobriety.
So something is at work here, including steps.
My goal is just to find what this core process is and try to refine it so it works better for an atheist like me. If you can link me to some information, please do. I see no need to reinvent the wheel and I'm sure some people smarter than I have worked through this.
Given that AA as a culture is defensive about change, even rigid, I don't suggest or intend to seek that. Rather, because it's widely available and does a lot of good, my hope is find a place within AA for my (non) belief system.
To my eyes, the courts are absolutely correct. AA is a religion. It walks like duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck; it is a duck.
Fair enough. I've attended many churches over the years not hiding my beliefs and still benefiting from the social, cultural and other benefits. Listening to statements and testimonials of belief, conversion, visions and instructions from "god" I find amusing but not for me to criticize anymore than I would attack someone for being a Republican or a Democrat. I know I'm not going to change anyone's fundamental belief system.
This matter of "spirituality" is as cunning and baffling as alcoholism. It looks like just a tepid substitute for "god."
Help me Rhonda, help me understand what you mean.
What's the difference between "spirits" and "god"?
Not that it matters, if it works. I'm just curious.

This I know to be true: For all its flaws, I'm sober because of AA.
Yours in the struggle...