Thread: Grrrrrrrr
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 06:52 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Rob B

Originally Posted by Pagekeeper View Post
I do not consider the Big Book a textbook. In order for it to be considered a textbook, it would need to be based on empirical evidence. The Big Book is not assigned to medical student studying addiction/alcoholism. At best, I'd call it a guide, or practical advice. There are many such guides when it comes to addiction. There are several other versions of 12 step programs, for example, and also many books on recovery that do not include taking steps or adopting supernatural beliefs in order to recover.
Actually, it is empirical, it is what the first men and women did to recover. Here's my experience, every man I know who has thoroughly done the work in the Big Book has gotten sober and remained that way. Does this mean it is the only way? nope, it is the best way for some of us.

I'm not here to push God on anyone, matter of fact, the book says the desire to find God must come from wihin, so no worries, none of you are in danger of accidentally catching it.

I read this forum because there are things I learn here, alcoholism is a disease of separation, for too long I have taken an us VS. them stance, no longer, there are a few folks who post on this forum whose sobriety I respect, they are not wasting time ripping on AA, they show a genuine concern for their fellow humans, and a willingness to remain teachable as well as teachers, that's what I would like for myself.