Old 01-23-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
GiveLove

I don't have statistics, and wouldn't trust them if I found them.

The only statistic that is necessary is that I am whole and complete in and of myself. I'm a strong, kind, loving, funny, intelligent, not-too-unattractive woman who knows how to put herself in situations where she might find kindred spirits.

That, in itself, will put you ahead of the rest of the pack

I was absolutely petrified of being along for decades. Relationships came and went, and each time I clung tighter and tighter. I finally went into therapy and figured out how to meet my needs and reach my dreams without a partner. I worked hard at knowing myself, and even harder at liking myself.

As fate would have it, I married at 40 and am now 47, and still going strong. If I hadn't married, I'd still be happy --- I discovered there are many, many things and people and places and activities in the world that I love....more than i could ever hope to experience. I also meet men every day of my life who share common interests and who are wandering through life hoping for a loyal, smart, healthy, fun partner. There's plenty of backup, in other words.

Am I'm no Charlize Theron (well...maybe in Monster )

You do not have to be afraid. If you don't wish to live alone, you just have to find someone healthy in body and mind who loves the same things you do, and you do that by figuring out where they are likely to be, and being there as often as possible. Be a good friend, be a good partner, and your chances will smash the hell out of those stupid "statistics."

Have hope, ddot. This isn't the end. It's the beginning.