View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 06:22 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Jersey Nonny
Old & Sober Member of AA

Not sure if it's a Whine or a Sigh of Relief...trying to wrap my brain around this one, although it's seemed imminent for a while.

Sis called last night...I could tell right away she'd been crying. She doesn't expect it to be much longer for our Mom...can't swallow (forgotten how), not urinating (sign of dehydration)...doesn't look good. We're going to see if hospice will manage to get me over to see Mom within the next day or so. I'm dreading this...I haven't really seen her in over a year, and I know she's deteriorated a lot since then. Ninety-seven is a long time...longer than I want to be around, especially not the way it's been for the past five years.

Got to pull myself together and remember that, in spite of an unhappy childhood and the past several years of Alzheimer's, she made a good life for herself...raised three kids on her own, was active in many civic organizations, retired with a good pension, traveled all over the world for many years, and became an avid Atlantic City patron. Of course, she gambled away her life savings, including her insurance policies...but, we won't go into that...dementia causes people to do mighty strange things.

Taking it a day at a time...hoping everything will go swiftly and smoothly. Off to a motzah pancake breakfast in activity room...want to keep my head clear, and try not to break down in tears every few minutes.