Thread: anxiety
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
matt88

It's amazing how many people that aren't alcoholics or drug addicts in any way are on medications for stuff like anxiety. A lot of people have been on anxiety meds since they were little, and don't know a life without them. I'd rather have some anxiety than be dependent on yet another substance because stopping anti-anxiety meds is supposedly no easy trick either.

I think the best way to fully evaluate whether or not you might have anxiety that is not drug or alcohol induced is to abstain for some time and then see how you feel. PAWS symptoms supposedly can linger for some time. Also of course, rest, a healthy diet, exercise, and lifestyle all are important too.

A small amount of anxiety is normal and expected, so I don't think we should expect a life devoid of anxiety altogether. Some situations are stressful to any person. As noted already, simply breathing helps calm. I was reading some thing online talking about how sometimes when people get panic attacks it is because there breathing is shallow due to tightening up, and they breathe only with their upper chest rather than with the diaphragm. So when I get anxious it helps to focus on the breathing. If you have a cat, they do this naturally when excited and start panting...haha

Also, the body cleans itself with the breath. When drinking you actually lose some alcohol through the breath, so it has a cleansing effect in itself. Oh yea, bananas help a lot. The potassium is supposed to calm. I've heard Magnesium helps. A lot of people take Valerian root in some form which is supposed to help as well. There's lots of supplements out there like GABA etc, but I don't know how safe they all are. A solid diet is the best way. if all else fails, check with a doctor.

Last edited by matt88; 01-22-2009 at 06:19 PM.