Old 01-22-2009, 05:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Katie09

Originally Posted by bugsworth View Post
Katie...my advise to you is to stick to newcomers meetings...after I decided that the "program" of aa was not something I wishes to adopt, as I already have a religion, I stayed away from meetings that were bb studies. I found that newcomers meetings kept everything really green for me.

Your not alone and you never have to drink again.
Thanks, I've been to those too and don't like them. Invariably, they center around the steps and I don't want to do the steps. What I have found of value in AA has very little to do with the program, rather certain individuals I've met along the way who didn't preach the steps or sponsors. I do have one friend in AA who does sort of do this, but there are several other qualities about him I value, so I overlook it when he tells me to get a sponsor. I know he means well, but when I've mentioned LifeRing he has just sort of pooh poohed it. Oh well. He has found something that has worked for him. I know AA is his thing and I respect that, just like I respect anyone else's choice in this forum to go to AA.

I bet in 50 years LifeRing and SMART meetings will be all over the place. I hope. But that will be too late for me