View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
marle

OT-? about credit card settlement

My daughter received a settlement letter from one of her credit card collection agencies. The debt was for $720 but they agreed to settle for $511. She contacted the company and told them that she could not pay it all at once but would they agree to monthly payments. They agreed and said that they would record the conversation. She agreed to let them have four of her bank checks and they agreed to take out of her account the money. She made an initial payment of $250. They said they will take an additional payment of $100 this month, $100 next month and the remainder in March. They also agreed to send her a letter for her files stating this is what they will do. This was over 2 weeks ago and repeated calls to the collections agency have gone unanswered. The agency has only taken $250 so far but she is afraid that since they still have a hold on 3 of her checks that they might try to take the money out earlier than agreed on or they will take the full amount that is owed. Right now she is only keeping enough in her account to cover their agreement. She is paying her other bills in cash or with money orders. I know that she made a mistake by giving them her checking account info, but I told her to just watch her bank account for now. She has online checking. Have any of you dealt with this before. I know some collections are unscrupulous but maybe this one will do as they say. The unanswered phone calls have her worried. Thanks for any info, Marle