View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
desertdonna

I think it's perfectly fine to skip over the Chapter to the Agnostics. I've read it several times. So now what, I ask? Keep going, I say. I think the nuts and bolts to the program are working the steps in a manner that "fits" our beliefs so that it will work for us. Besides hanging out with other alcoholics for the group consciousness aspect, and being of service in any manner (not just in AA, for example). I think there is great psychological/psychosocial benefits to the program.

I've come to discover that there is a lot of mental illness in AA to one degree or another, and that requires my discernment and compassion. There's one guy who attends regularly, lots of tattoos across his body and face, kind of shakes and talks to himself during meetings. When he does share it's in a soft mumble that can barely be heard. Many people keep their distance from him. But even he can come out with an amazing insight if someone cares to really listen to him. I like him and always ask how he's doing.

Again, for me, if I'm resistant or see a problem, then I have to look at myself to see what's up. It's a process, to be sure.

Thanks for sharing here and letting me toss this about.

Last edited by desertdonna; 01-15-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typo