Old 01-14-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
fifleman

To answer your question on suggestions of taking your mind off alcohol (not avoiding it), I have a few. You cannot avoid alcohol in today's society, especially if your husband is a "light/moderate" drinker and has a few beers in the fridge. We have to learn and condition ourselves to simply realize we always have the potential and the ability to drink, but we can do so MANY constructive other things other than destroying our body.

For me, I start to think of what I waste by drinking. The rest of the day, my time, my health, my body, my mind. I remember how I feel the next. I'm like you; I don't socially drink. I'll drink two pints of Crown Royal and say "I'm not drunk" sitting on the couch playing guitar, but I have to stop myself because I'm physically starting to feel bad after that much.

After thinking of what you waste by drinking, attach any feelings of remorse, anger, shame, sadness, etc. Do you feel any of this the next day? I think you're a "better" alcoholic than I; I'm totally ashamed of drinking the next day, feel horrible for relapsing, and continuously knock on myself so much so that between my hangover and anxiety have a horribly out of wack heartbeat and mind that races. I hate it. Do not want it ANYMORE.

Don't cherish those thoughts of drinking or "I want a drink" when there's idle or down time. If you're bored, go for a run. You mentioned you like reading; if you're bored, hit up a bookstore and search out a new book. Take a vitamin and healthy drink to better your body instead of destroying it; take up something you've always been "shy" to do; exercise, as you've already found; do something nice for the husband; go for a walk; call old friends you haven't talked to in awhile, anything that deters the mind from thinking about alcohol. Actually, thinking about it and filling it either quickly or a bit slowly with another thought is OK. It's when we act on it that we fail. Get on this website and post

For me, I see a familiar house, bar, gas station, movie, person, etc.. I hear a familiar song, conversation, or words that have upset me before. Almost IMMEDIATELY thereafter I'm thinking about a drink. "Oh man, I gotta get wasted and listen to this". What utter bullsh*t!! What I've been doing, and what I hope to God you try hard to do is to *focus*. When your mind starts fleeting from thought to thought, from "I wanna drink" to "I can't fail myself", focus. On ANYTHING, but the positives of alcohol. Trust me, that's easy, because there are none. All negatives stem from alcohol and its affects. So, you can focus on how bad of a person you may be on alcohol or what it's done that's detrimental in your life, but realize that was you then, and you're currently sober. That should be a powerful feeling.

Good luck, hopefully nothing was confusing.