View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sailorjohn

Originally Posted by felly79 View Post
Everything in moderation. Anyone else here have a history of excessive daydreaming? Daydreaming itself is fine, like the Blondie lyrics go, "dreaming is free." It becomes a problem when you give more significance to your fantasy world than the real world. This has been one of my problems over the years. I would just go through the motions in the "real world," at the same time living in a fantasy world in my head. Just plain daydreaming, imagining myself living in a seperate set of circumstances, any would do as long as it was suffienciently different from the "real world." Drinking was part of the escape, it helped me to get lost further into the fantasy.

Since I chose to activiely pursue some kind of serious recovery, I have had to conciously keep myself from daydreaming and it is so hard and frustrating. Many alcoholics/addicts have a hard time dealing with reality in early recovery but I wonder if it is because they too daydreamed all the time, or is it just the fact that we have to become more responsible? What does dealing with reality in sobriety mean to you?
Well, that is a tough one as I have always been a daydreamer. That being said, I finally recognize that I've been living in an alcoholic fantasy for the last two odd years. Giving up the fantasy has been very difficult.