View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
TryingSoHard
I'm just a little unwell

Hi Petiot, and welcome to SR! Thank you for posting and sharing a bit about yourself. I think you'll find that many of us have stories or situations that you can relate to quite a bit, and many of us will be able to relate to YOU as well.

As for the cravings, there are several things you can do. For starters, you can change up your routine. If you usually drink at home a couple of hours before bed, do something else at that time of night. Watch a movie, go shopping, go to the gym, something to break the routine and occupy your mind.

Time your cravings and see how long they last. I believe it was Carol who said hers averaged 5 - 7 minutes. Seems like an eternity at the time, I know, but when you think about it, that's really not that long. SURELY you can find something to help you through 7 minutes!

Having a problem with alcohol isn't necessarily defined by how much you drink, but by how what you drink affects you. If you are repeatedly making promises to yourself that you won't drink and then giving in at the end of the day anyway, I'd say that's a pretty sure sign that you're losing control. I know that was one of the things that worried me about my own drinking. Also, if you start and then can't stop, that's another sign that the alcohol has more power over you than you do over it.

Find something else to drink instead of alcohol. In this cold weather, maybe have some hot chocolate? Sipping something sugary sometimes helps, too (flavored waters, ginger ale, etc.).

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing more of your posts.