Thread: Being Around It
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
j0hn0than1964
JTinStLouis

I agree this can be a tough one. I have friends that I used to go out and drink with too, that of course still use. I do miss talking with them and hanging out that is for sure. What I am trying to figure out is this....do I really miss these drinking friends or is there now just a void? I do know this answer yet, I am trying to establish new friends that are sober and that can be hard too. Like everyone I have to understand my areas of weakness too. I have been out and met my friends only a few times in my 80 some days of sobriety and it was fine, I did catch up a bit and talk with them. I did not drink nor did I really want to. I do not have a definitive answer on this either, what I know about me is "if I hang around the barber shop long enough I am sure to get a haircut" kind of the same principle for me. Therefore it is OK once in a while and somewhat event driven, but I don't choose to make this habit like as that to me is just like using less the booze, If I am spending my time in bars around people drinking on a regular basis I may as well be drinking as I am not doing myself or my family anything good. I was once told the "next right thing" is mostly in all actuality "the next HARD right thing" thus if was easy and too comfortable it may not be the right thing, we as alcoholics are comfortable with previous behaviors and actions, and uncomfortable with new and different.

Just Saying is all, Just Saying
JT