Thread: New Here
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
prodigal

Originally Posted by CAE View Post
Drinking combined with her being very co-dependent wasn't very good when I was away. There was always some sort of drama that would come of it.
I would like to know, if you want to share, how you concluded she was codependent. I'm a codie, but I am not an A. However, there are A's who are codependent too. Have you attended Al-Anon before or have you read any books on codependency?

She quit drinking for almost a month a couple of times but then after being unsuccessful she decided she didn't want to quit...she ended up cheating on me (come to find out she just made out with the guy but she was drunk and messed up).
At this point, she has decided she wants to continue drinking. What are you going to do for yourself to handle this situation?

Are you certain she didn't cheat on you? You say she was "drunk and messed up." If she was telling you she ony made out with the guy, how could she be certain that's all she did if she was drunk?

She hasn't figured out the pattern but I have. She drank yesterday so today will be a good day. Tomorrow she'll want to go out when I get home or since she bought a 12 pack of beer yesterday and there is some left she'll probably be started on that tomorrow before I get home from work.
She does not see the pattern because she is likely in denial that anything is "wrong" with her drinking. She wants to continue drinking. Although you see the pattern, what benefit is it to her? In fact, what benefit is it to you to see that she has a pattern (or, in other words, an addiction). Until she faces up to it, I'm afraid this is going to continue.

Things are ok right now as far as the drama goes. We're still in transition mode with moving and everything so that's enough drama to keep her going.
What type of drama do you think she'll begin once the moving period is over?

I hope you will give Al-Anon and/or counseling a try. It sounds like you have a rough road ahead of you. Right now, she isn't ready to seek recovery. That doesn't mean she won't try again in the future. In the meantime, please take care of YOU.