View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 04:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
StrongBird
On the road of happy destiny

It's not for me because the bars around here are non-smoking but I can relate to ridiculous triggers. I usually file my work away at the end of the day and when I was drinking, I'd be thinking "woohoo, only a few more minutes till I can open up a beer and 'relax.' " And the walk out to my car after work was the same thing. I obviously can't avoid those things but I've learned to tell myself that I'm going to go home first, grab some dinner, and then if I still want to drink I'll just run back out to the store. Of course once I'm past my trigger spots I realize that it was alcoholism talking. Luckily for me, my alcoholism is easily fooled -- I really do believe that I'm just going to postpone that drink for an hour or so and of course I'll still want it later.

On the other hand, alcoholism is cunning, baffling and powerful and I'm fully aware that "tricking" the alcoholic voice like that might not keep working. That's why I stick around here and why I go to AA. Without it, it catches me off guard and next thing you know, I'm drunk.