Thread: Explain to him?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Still Waters
Being Silent so I can Hear

It is hard to explain, to anyone. I know, my AH is the same. It's emotional and mental abuse, I know it is because it made me dreadfully ill - and I decided that's all I needed to know. I went to counseling, and there I was able to explain what was going on and reassure myself that it wasn't me who was the problem.

The last straw was when he stated he didn't need any counseling, there was nothing wrong with him and he would have no idea what to discuss with a counselor. A lifelong alcoholic, who lived in filth up to his knees in his home - and he has nothing to discuss with a counselor. Okay.

There is no telling or convincing them. JustMe - take a look at this article:

He/she is often guilty of rationalizing. By dissipating the criticism of others through makeshift explanations, they attempt to bolster self-esteem. They must justify their self at every turn, however wayward are their attitudes and behaviors. Therefore, they find many reasons for avoiding AA and NA, and each reason might be plausible, but their argument attempts to ignore the truth; that they need AA and/or NA, or other help.

The addict who rationalizes about his/her own irresponsible behavior is also likely to find fault in the attitudes and behavior of others. Although not denying their own shortcomings, they attempt to escape notice of them by cataloging in great detail the transgressions of his family, friends, employer and those who are in authority. He/she tries to get off the hook by equating others with themselves, but this is quite transparent. They are not really interested in reform, but in being able to say with some truth, “Look, I am not so different from anyone else.”

The maneuver of projection seems to be quite like rationalization on the surface. By projection, the addict finds in others what is unacceptable in his/her self This involves great lack of insight whereby he/she attempts to rid themselves of their intolerable feelings and motives by recognizing these feelings in others. He/she might interpret their conduct as motivated by feelings that they unconsciously acknowledges as unworthy in their own attitudes towards themselves. The maneuver of projection might cause them to accuse others of wanting them to get drunk, or they might accuse their AA and NA friends of using. They may also accuse others of suspecting them of using.
You cannot reason with people like this, it's utterly futile.