View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 12:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
getr345
Karma Amputee

Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Thanks for the update!

I noticed you were missing lately, and actually hoped your computer crashed :wtf2 instead of.......
Glad you are doing well and making progress!
Actually I was just on a week long vacation, my first since starting on the road to recovery. While on vacation, I spent a great deal of my free time just reading from the Big Book and discussing my situation with family members, all of whom were supportive and proud. New Year's Eve was a nice hurdle to get over sober, the feeling being that if I can not drink on a night like that, I can do it any night. At one point during the vacation, my Booze Brain thought how "sad" it was that I'd never again enjoy a fresh Mojito, and for a moment there I had to agree. I mean Mojitos with fresh mint, cane sugar and really good Rum,yummy...but I digress...

The feeling passed, was forgotten, and the vacation continued but on the way to the airport to leave, the wife & I stopped at a Cuban restaurant for Cubano sandwiches and they had a nice selection of bottled Cuban drinks, one of which was a Mojito drink without Rum. We ordered them, enjoyed them, and only when I got home and told my wife about the sad feeling I had at the prospect of never having a Mojito again did my wife remind me that we did have Mojitos and that we quite enjoyed them with lunch. At the time, I didn't make the connection but thinking about it after, I realized that I can truly have whatever I want and don't need alcohol to make me happy.