Old 01-05-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Cherry imho you have not lost your sober time, you are just starting anew.

I can only share my experience, when I was 24 I quit drinking for a year and a half, I changed a lot about me for a while and then things changed and life became boring, I started drinking again, just a little at first, then slowly I was right where I left off again and passed that point fairly quickly.......

Well it continued to get worse until sometime in my late 30s, early 40s I would decide I had to control my drinking or stop, this went on until my mid 40s, then I reached the point where I had to drink every day just to function semi normal, I had to drink in order to exist. At the age of 52 I admitted alcohol owned me, I saw a doctor, he put me into detox, detox sent me to AA to stay sober.

I am not saying AA is the only way, it's not, but it was the way for me, the program led me to become a different person, a person today who does not even view a drink as anything posotive for me, I can honestly say I could care less if I ever had a drink again today. The fellowship of AA has led me to some great friends who have found the same way to stay sober and live life with out drinking and be very happy livinig that way.

If AA is not for you try other programs, the key I feel is not trying to fight this alone, but following the path that others before have followed. The program of AA with the help of others in the program have led me to the changes I need in me to stay sober and happy.

BTW I am sure there are others who had drinking problems in their youth that were not alcoholics and have returned to "normal" drinking patterns, but I know for me, I am an alcoholic and I have no issue with not drinking, to me today drinking is a none issue..... I drink none and I am fine, I drink some and I am done!