Old 01-04-2009, 05:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Still Waters
Being Silent so I can Hear

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
sam.....addicts really have this need for the world to go their way....so they can rip and run and do whatever the hell they feel like and NOT suffer ANY consequences. they act in many ways like ill-behaved children....rowdy, selfish and petulant. they also cling to magical thinking....much like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, where all she had to do was click her heels together three times and say There's No Place Like Home and WAH LAH, she's home. only they use the term I'm Sorry. that is supposed to solve everything. make it all better. and now they want to go back to doing what they're doing, when they want, without repercussion.

many of US involved with these overgrown 5 yr olds cling to words like I'm Sorry and I love you....in the real grown up world those words DO have meaning....however they are also backed up by consistent action and behavior.

most often the "apology" from the alcoholic sounds something like:

I'M SORRY
PLEASE FORGIVE ME
IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN

but if nothing changes, nothing changes. after we've heard the "oath" a couple three hundred times, it tends to lose it's meaning. it's just yap. it gets old.

i think you are starting to see thru the thin veneer of BS....
To point out yet again, that every situation is different yet oh so similiar:

My AH never ever said he was sorry for anything. Never. Nothing was his fault.